The toolkit is broken down into sections to guide you through an evaluation planning and implementation process. The first two sections introduce basic concepts in evaluation and outline the toolkit framework. Sections 3 and 4 walk through the steps for planning and implementing your evaluation:
- Step 1: Engage stakeholders
- Step 2: Develop a logic model
- Step 3: Plan your evaluation
- Step 4: Collect data
- Step 5: Analyze and interpret data
- Step 6: Share results
Steps 1-6 use case studies to provide practical examples of evaluations, based on the experiences of a number of Healthcare Georgia Foundation grantees. Three case studies are currently available in the toolkit and provide examples of evaluations of: 1) a safety net clinic program; 2) a policy advocacy program; and 3) an entire organization.
In addition to core content and case studies, the toolkit includes:
- Key concepts, which can be found in the toolkit's glossary of terms.
- Worksheets for organizing information about the planned evaluation. These generic templates can be used to plan an evaluation of any type of program or effort by an organization.
- Sidebars containing additional resources or information.
- Checklists at the end of chapters 3–8 to serve as reminders of the key action steps outlined in the chapter.
- A list of resources for further reading on a wide range of evaluation topics.